Friday, June 1, 2012

Bogotá's Ever-Changing Graffiti


Two homeless men on a wall outside of the National University. 
Bogotá's graffiti changes constantly. Here are some which are new - or new to me, at least. 

As always, many are political, particularly in the National University, known as La Nacho. 

Two new murals on 19th St. Check out BogotaStreetArt.com for an overview of four major Bogotá muralists.


In the National University, a critique of the U.S.-Colombia Free Trade Agreement

Latin American leftist leaders.
'Imperialists out of Latin America!' Setting afire the United States in very unsubtle art in La Nacho. 
Also in La Nacho's Plaza del Che, Uncle Sam turns Juan Manuel Santos into a marionette.

'Dirty Money,' on 26th St. near the National University and the U.S. Embassy.

Interpret this one, in La Nacho, for yourself


By Mike Ceaser, of Bogotá Bike Tours, which also offers graffiti tours.

6 comments:

meltingcielo said...

There's a couple awesome ones (portraits) on the Kr15 around about 90, by the mini "artesan" market stalls....

mauricio forero l said...

I'm a leftist myself, but I have to say that except for the one with the two homeless, I find the rest of this graffiti kind of boyish and artistically very mediocre. This is the same crap that I used to see when I was living there. The problem is not in being a leftist, but in not finding new ways in showing it.

Mauricio Forero.

Miguel said...

You're right, Mauricio. But I don't think their ambition is to create great art, but just to make an unsubtle political statement.

Thanks Meltingcielo. Whenever I'm in the north, I'll look for those murals.

Mike

mauricio forero l said...

I grew up looking at this graffiti in la nacho, I went to art school in la nacho and, I know there is talent in this school. I am aware that graffiti is not high art but, com on, can we find a new way to do this kind of work, or at least more elaborated. It has not changed since the 60's. You have to see the graffiti in la Autonama de Mexico, or lets remember the work of Keith Haring and, have you seen the Chicano Graffiti in Los Angeles, Is just awesome and, it has social and political content.

Miguel said...

Yah, but not everybody has great talent, or lots of time to work on this stuff. In any case, I prefer a mural, even if a mediocre one, to a blank wall.

mauricio forero l said...

Well Mike, I don't know, a BLANK wall can suggest minimal art, free of any mediocrity...Relax Mike I'm just kidding.


M.F.